» Topic: Integrating Mental Health to improve QoL of women in Povert Settings in Africa - International Society for Quality of Life Studies - ISQOLS
  • » Homepage
  • » Topic
  • » Integrating Mental Health to improve QoL of women in Povert Settings in Africa

Integrating Mental Health to improve QoL of women in Povert Settings in Africa

Home Forums DISCUSSION GROUP IV: COMMUNITY & SUSTAINABILITY Integrating Mental Health to improve QoL of women in Povert Settings in Africa

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Cloutier 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dr. Gladys Mwangi
    Participant

Hi Scott, nice to meet you as the new director for this forum. My name is Gladys Mwangi. I have just concluded my Doctorate Degree in Clinical Psychology. My research focused on integrating mental health measures to improve QoL among Maasai women living in resource poor settings in Northern Kenya. The findings showed a positive relationship between mental health and QoL of women in resource poor settings. However, statistical tests revealed that there are other socio-cultural and environmental factors that influence QoL in these communities that need further research. Now, evidence shows that my country has missed out on being included in global ranking on QoL. I believe this could be enhanced if QoL indices are improved/homegrown to reflect the QoL definitions in this communities. I am really passionate to see this happen through research and would like to hear what your thoughts are regarding this. Could you advise on how I could make this dream happen.

Scott Cloutier
    Participant

Hi Gladys!

Very nice to meet you as well! Congratulations on completing your doctorate and on your work with Maasai women! I completely agree that you can assist with the inclusion and building of QoL metrics for your country. My first suggestion is to look into the research to see who else has done some work with Maasai around this. I am sure you know of some studies but I encourage you to reach out to the authors directly. You can also connect with Joe Sirgy, who knows a good deal about QoL indicators and even leads a certification program around them. Lastly, I encourage you to go after your passions to create and implement these measures. I have done something similar with connections between neighborhoods and happiness and continue to hone the work I have done previously. If I can be of any support, please email me directly at Scott.Cloutier@asu.edu. Take care!

Scott

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.